Wednesday, January 7

So why Hong Kong?

Originally, I wanted to study abroad in France after reading a dozen books by Alexander Dumas. This would have been a great application of fours years of high school French as well. (I took French because of Dumas of course.)

However, I still wanted to take classes in English mainly because I lack sufficient fluency in any other language. (I am sure I can handle classes in Russian, but I wanted to go somewhere else.)

Additionally, I wanted a school with a strong Engineering program because I would need to be able to continue taking classes for my Civil Engineering degree. Taking humanities/social sciences and free electives wasn't an option for me because I satisfied these with AP credits and co-op program.

Eventually, the process of elimination led me to Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).

I have to add that my close friend's great study abroad experience in Japan did a lot to ease my nervousness about going to Asia as a white Russian girl from America.

No comments:

Post a Comment